Monday 20 May 2013

Winning an Award

It has taken a few days to process the weekend!

On Saturday I attended the Adult Education Learners Award ceremony for Gloucestershire. I had been nominated for Outstanding Tutor of the year, which had really shocked me!

Much to my amazement I actually won!


Receiving my award was so nerve wracking! This is the Head of Education and Libraries in Gloucestershire!

The person who had nominated me had written a statement about me that was read out. I had to fight back the tears! She praised my relaxed teaching manner that helped learners to settle into my groups. Not only that,  but she highlighted that my biggest skill is the fact my relaxed manner is backed up with rigorous planning and in depth knowledge of each of my learners achievements, skills and needs. Learners feel confident in my classes because they know I know them.

It was a lovely morning out which involved getting my nails done and having a cuppa with some of the learners who also got an group award.


I had invited my lovely friend Helen and my eldest son came too!


We had a lovely time!

When the ceremony had finished the husband of one of the learners came over to talk to me. With tears in his eyes he explained that I would never know how much my lessons had changed his wife's life. That she had regained some of the confidence she had lost 5 years before following a major life changing event. She now has friends and leaves the house. He thanked me for giving her so much, and for helping him too...

I had to fight back the tears.... I was so moved and pleased that I had been able to help them both.

That is why I love my job as a tutor. I love working with people who previously had found a classroom environment stressful. I love helping people to learn a new skill whilst building their self-confidence.

I love working with people who have struggled with things in their life, but have taken the risk of coming to my classes. Watching them change and grow is incredibly rewarding!

That is why I spend hours completing paperwork for classes and making sure everything is organised.

It is quite simply the best job in the world!



Linking up with Let's Get Acquainted at The Sewing Chick.

16 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! So many congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna,
    That is truly a wonderful accomplishment. It brought tears to my eyes too. I know your family is so proud and they should be! You should be proud of yourself too!
    Jan @ sewandsowfarm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely cracking stuff, Anna - and don't you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Anna! Congratulations you really deserve this award, enjoy it and you should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, how wonderful for you, many congratulations. You deserve every bit of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, a beautiful post. Well done Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations. I can tell from your posts and tweets about your classes how much you put into your work and I am so pleased that has been recognised.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful achievement . I am so glad you were recognised for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete