Thursday 20 December 2012

Christmas Star

A couple of years ago a friend gave me a jelly roll of Christmas fabrics. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it so it went into the fabric stock... until now!

On Saturday my friends are having a Christmas party and we have to take a wall decoration to decorate the hall. I wanted to do something special and then be able to sure it at home, but not spend any money..

I dug out what remains of the jelly roll and then spotted a blog tutorial for a Christmas Lone Star by Better off Thread whilst I was blog surfing one morning - this blog is now on my favourite list!



The Scrappy Lone Star is perfect for using up jelly rolls because it uses 2.5" wide strips. Janice has created the tutorial for the Lone Star and made a modern quilt with the design.  I didn't want to make something so modern, in fact simpler the better as the party is so close!

I followed the well laid out instructions and pictures to create the sections of the stars:



I then chose the red spotty fabric for the border of the star points and a white background:


I used the quick method of assembling the quilt by sewing the patchwork right sides together with the backing and then turning out with the wadding. I then stitched all around the edge to secure it.

A while ago I started reading about using Perle 8 Cotton to hand quilt with and managed to find some Valdani thread on eBay. It is super soft and the colours are lush! 



I have echoed the star design in the quilting with the gorgeous red thread in my pack, which looks great against the red!

Hopefully my super fast Christmas Star will look ok at the party.... now to make some food....

No comments:

Post a Comment