Friday 2 November 2012

Backing it in brown!

A little while ago I posted a blog about an idea I had for using up the triangle scraps from the Snowball quilt I am currently quilting.



These little triangles are small and worth using (what fabric isn't worth using), but I didn't fancy sewing them together in the traditional way to make blocks.... I had an idea to quilt them as I go onto a white background, and since money is tight I had to use the fabric in my stash to back the quilt... hence the brown backing!

As you will know if you follow my blog, I have been pondering Autumn colours this week and the brown fits into the colour spectrum, but it is a washed out kinda brown so it wouldn't have made it into a starring role on a quilt.


Today one of my lovely sewing girls didn't come to class and as I had set up her machine and my one young lady was working on free motion designs, I thought I would get started with my idea...

It was a bit haphazard in the planning stage, because space and time was limited, but I managed to get the 3 layers together and started to quilt the scrap triangles:


I have used my walking foot to go around the outside of the triangles starting at the tip and then move onto the next one by quilting through the middle of the triangle to the next one.  So I have a chain of flying triangular scraps:



I have now pinned all the triangles into place on the front so that they trail across the quilt. The backing is looking really good with the trail of quilting:


So far I am really pleased with the experiment!

Have you tried a new method recently?

3 comments:

  1. This is great Anna! It would be worth cutting some triangles specifically for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I really like it!

    Need to find more time to finish it now... and the bigger quilt the triangles came from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete