Tuesday 27 November 2012

Making a Fabulous Advent Calendar

A couple of weeks ago I saw Karen Lewis from Blueberry Park tweeting about her hand printed Advent Calendar kit and I just knew the boys would love it!

 
Over the weekend we were having a Christmas craft weekend, so it seemed the perfect opportunity to put together the kit. When it arrived I had the idea to quilt the hand printed panel whilst applying the pockets.


I choose some fabulous spotty fabric from Tanya Whelan which I found in my secret stash for the back. The instructions are fantastic with the kit, so I followed them to create the pockets by ironing the sides and stitching along the top of the pocket. These I them pinned onto the printed background - there are handy white notches to position the pockets between.

I then quilted the pockets onto the panel. The boys choose the positioning of the pockets so they were random:

 
 
They really enjoyed helping to place the numbers with me. Once all the pockets were quilting on, I cut round the calendar and started attaching spotty binding to match the back of the calendar.
 
 


Once the binding was stitched in place I hand stitched some red ribbon in place so we could hang the advent calendar.

 
The boys are chuffed with their new Advent Calendar and can't wait for Saturday so they can start finding the gifts I will be putting in there!
 
The kit from Blueberry Park is fantastic and the details on the panel are fabulous! I love all the hand printed details! 

1 comment:

  1. i love how you have quilted Anna...looks fab! Hope have lots of fun with it and thanks again for purchasing x

    ReplyDelete