Thursday 5 July 2012

The Modern Quilting Bee

Following on from yesterdays start of my first Quilt Along, I thought I would a new book I found.



Block Party: the Modern Quilting Bee by Alissa Haight Carlton and Kristen Lejnieks is a book all about the journey of 12 women who met on the Internet and started a modern, international quilting bee.

The book tells the story of the 12 quilts they made - one each month. Each member of the bee sent out the fabrics they wanted using and a description of the blocks they wanted made. The result is a fascinating look at the art of modern quilts with traditional blocks given a modern twist.

I love the finished quilts because each block is made slightly differently, so there is something new to find every time you look at the book...


Each quilt comes with instructions on how make the blocks:


The instructions are clear and well laid out with great pictures and hints for colours.

The best bit of the book is meeting the quilters involved. Each of the 12 members tell their story. I love meeting people with the same passion as me, I love sharing the stories of the quilts... (maybe I am just very nosey!)


I would love to start a project with other quilters from around the world. Would you like to join me?

I know you know that you can buy this book from Amazon, but I am passionate about supporting local indie bookshops, so if possible please get your copy from one of the amazing independent book sellers near to you.

I support The Yellow Lighted Bookshop as much as possible, so you can of course get a copy from there! They take orders by phone and will send to anywhere!

Details: Block Party: the Modern Quilting Bee by Alissa Haight Carlton and Kristen Lejnieks
Publisher: Stash Books
ISBN: 987-1-60705-197-8

No comments:

Post a Comment