Wednesday 4 July 2012

My First Quilt Along Part 1

In all the years I have been a quilter, I have never taken part in a quilt along.

The Internet has changed the face of quilting so much - people from around the world can connect in an instant and share their hobbies. Having virtual quilting bees and quilt along groups has never been easier!

When I saw the Hexy MF quilt along on the Fat Quarterly Blog and I'm A Ginger Monkey blog I just knew I had to give it a go.

The pattern is so gorgeous and involved LOTS of hexagons hand sewn together - perfect for me as a contrast to the long days I spend at my sewing machine.

It took me a while to decide the fabrics I would like to use... but I finally decided on the Summersville collect from Lucie Summers.


I got my selection from the fabulous Alice at Backstitch, but you can also get them from Lucie direct at her Etsy shop - I have some gorgeous orange coming in the post!

Armed with my templates from I'm A Ginger Monkey I have started to cut the hexagons out:


There is something very therapeutic about cutting hexagons...


I have started to turn the seam allowances so I have ready to go hexagons....



I am really enjoying working on the quilt. It has come in very handy this week, when I have 3 cracked ribs following a fall and I can't sit upright at a sewing machine for a few days....


I hope you like the colour choices. Are you having a go at the Hexy MF quilt along? Which fabrics are you using? I would love to see them!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I want to do this too!!!!!!! *goes to investigate* p.s. sorry to hear about your ribs.

    ReplyDelete