Thursday 24 January 2013

Quick Machine Applique

Machine Applique Flower

This is a tutorial for making super fast machine applique blocks without using Bondaweb or pins!!

You will need 

  • Fabric Scraps
  • 12.5" square of background fabric
  • Fabric glue

Step One

Cut out 6 leaves, a stem, flower and circle centre piece from your scraps.

You will need....

Step Two

Laying the piece out

Lay out the design, making sure you note the order the pieces are placed, For example the centre of the flower comes after the stem and flower.

Step Three

Gluing 1

Next take the design off and carefully put some glue on the wrong side of the stem. You don't need a lot, jut a few small dabs along the length of the stem.

Place this onto the background fabric and gently press down.

Starting at the bottom

Step Four

I like to relay all of the pieces back on and glue them carefully into place, this way I can see the overall design:

Gluing 2

Again you only need a little glue. Once they are all glued into place, it is time to have a cuppa! The glue needs about 15 minutes to dry so it doesn't clog up your machine!

Step Five

Next comes the fun bit! Sew the pieces into place!

Sewing the pieces in place

You can use a free motion foot to do this, especially if there are lots of curves!

Step Six

Once you have finished stand back and admire your wonderful work!

Machine Applique Flower


The Leaves


Please respect the work putting this tutorial together has taken. Do not be so rude as to steal the content without asking me first - I am a pretty friendly person. and I don't bite!

2 comments:

  1. I have made several applique cushion covers using a similar method, I stitch twice around the shapes as it seems to give clarity to the piece and I use a black thread, I don't use glue but may give that a try and I interface(don't get on with Bondaweb!) each piece to give it body.
    Thank you for sharing your ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the stiffness of Bondaweb sometimes, so I have been looking for another way to secure the fabrics. Now playing with tucking the edges under... Thanks

      Delete